Padmabhushan, Dr. RM. Alagappa Chettiar
My happiness is limitless because it does not consist naturally in my own happiness, but my happiness consists in the happiness of the thousands of students young and old, boy and girl that received education in our vast campus.
Padmabushan Dr.Alagappa Chettiar was a great Philanthropist, eminent educationist and a multi faced versatile personality. Born in 6th April of 1909 as second son of ShriK.V.AL.Ramanathan Chettiar and Umayal Achi at Kottaiyur of Sivagangai District, in Tamilnadu.
EARLY LIFE & EDUCATION
Dr. RM. Alagappa Chettiar had his primary education at the SMS Vidyasala in Karaikudi and went on to obtain his M.A. from the Presidency College in Madras. He obtained Post Graduate (M.A.) Degree in English literature in 1930 from Presidency College, Madras at the age of 21. He had the fortune of befriending Dr. S. Radhakrishnan, a model teacher who later on became the President of India. At the age of 21, he became the first Indian trainee at the Chartered bank in London. Thereafter he qualified for the bar at Middle Temple in England and became a ' bar-at-law ' to be cherished by the people of Chettinad. He was conferred a doctoral degree (D.Litt) by Annamalai University in 1943 and by the Madras University (LL.D.) in 1944. The British Government knighted him in 1945. He was conferred the distinction of Padma Bhushan by the President of India on January 26, 1957. His stellar record as a business entrepreneur was acknowledged by the British government when he was knighted in 1945 at the age of 37. He renounced the prestigious knighthood when India attained independence. The distinction of Padma Bushan was conferred by the president of India on January 26, 1956.BUSINESS ACUMEN
His stellar record as a business entrepreneur was acknowledged by the British Government when he was knighted in 1945 at the age of 37. He renounced the prestigious knighthood when India attained independence. The distinction of Padmabushan was conferred by the President of India on January 26, 1957. Within a span of 2 decades he demonstrated his versatility as a successful business tycoon, an intrepid academician with a vision to change the mere scrub jungle of Karaikudi to an educational Mecca. When he passed away prematurely at the age of 48, Dr. Alagappa Chettiar had redefined philanthropy and contributed more to the betterment of education in Tamil Nadu than any other person of eminence had done until then.
He launched his career by pioneering in textiles. As a business savvy and a model employer he practiced then, what the Harvard Business School preaches today - diversification of portfolios with rubber plantations in Malaya, Tin mines in Burma, Textile Mills in Kerala, Insurance companies in Calcutta, Hotels in Bombay, Theatres in Madras, a flourishing stock broking company and a private airline and has been referred to as the unsung business maharaja of South India in the thirties and forties. His business interests were however short lived as he changed his focus to education.
Dr. Alagappa in 1937 started Cochin textiles at Pudhukaddu near Thiruchur in Kerala. Cochin textiles were converted as Alagappa Textiles. The Township of Cochin textile's staff was named Alagappa Nagar. Alagappa Nagar is the first and only township named of a Nagarathar in other state. He took charge the Managing responsibilities of "Jupiter general insurance company", "East and west insurance company' and "Rich Hotels". He also functioned as Air Transport Company known as "Jupiter Airways".SERVICE TO EDUCATION
He harboured a firm conviction that education is an absolute must for a human being to become productive, wholesome and humane. In 1947 at the Dr. Annie Besant centenary celebrations the Vice-Chancellor of Madras University called industrialists to start colleges to educate India. Spontaneously Dr.Chettiar answered the call in the same function and within three days Alagappa Arts College started functioning at Gandhi Malighai in Karaikudi. His generous donations led to the establishment of a string of educational institutions, which formed the basis for the establishment of the Alagappa University in 1985 by the Government of Tamil Nadu.
The Alagappa University was established in 1985 fulfilling the dream of Dr.Alagappa. Alagappa Educational intuitions is providing a continuum in education for children of the community to start from kindergarten and pursue studies right up to post doctoral studies in a wide array of subjects.
To bring prominence to the educational institutions he had the vision to convince Prime Minister Nehru to house one of the Government's National Research Institutes in the heart of the Alagappa campus. Dr. Radhakrishnan, the Vice President of India surmised at the opening of the Central Electro Chemical Research Institute (CECRI) on 14 Jan 1953. " The magnificent gift of 300 acres of land 1.5 million of Rupees by Dr. Alagappa Chettiar helped the Government of India to select Karaikudi as the seat of Electro Chemical Research Institute. Being a businessman himself, Dr. Alagappa Chettiar is aware of the industrial possibilities of our country and the need for scientific, technical and technological education in his lifetime he has built a monument for himself you have only to look around."
At the tender age of 48, in the midst of single handedly revolutionizing his native place and changing the course of history he succumbed to his illness. Perhaps his crowning piece of philanthropy was giving away his own palatial residence in Kottaiyur to found the Women's college. Rajaji has remarked, "Dr. Alagappa Chettiar had given away freely. Students should develop that quality namely giving money earned for charity. Dr.Alagappa is one who can give to good cause, cultivate courage and emulate the spirit". The Trusts that have been established by the Founder viz. the Asoka Charitable Trust and the Dr.Alagappa Chettiar Educational Trust are managing the Schools and have aggressive plans for expanding, to upgrade the quality of education and provide an opportunity for the youth of the country, to fulfill their dreams.Dr. Alagappa Chettiar's Philanthrophy
- In 1943 Dr. Alagappa Chettiar donated Rupees One Lakh for the installation & development of Tamil Department of Travancore University.
- Rupees Eleven thousand for instituting higher secondary school at his birth place Kottaiyur, Tamilnadu.
- Rupees Seventy five Thousand to build a Ladies hostel at Vepery, Chennai.
- Rupees One hundred thousand for the development of the township infrastructure of Kottaiyur, Tamilnadu.
- Rupees Thirty Thousand for Meenakshi club at Kandanur, Tamilnadu.
- Rupees Ten thousand for H.M.I.S Fund.
- Rupees Five hundred thousand to establish an Engineering College at Annamalai University, Chidambaram, Tamilnadu.
- Rupees Five hundred thousand to establish a College of Technology at Madras University, To acknowledge this donation the Madras University named the institution "Alagappa Chettiar College of Technology" Guindy, Chennai.
- He was instrumental in persuading the Central Government to establish the one and only Central Electro Chemical Research Institute (CECRI), one of the premier Research Organizations under CSIR, at Karaikudi. He donated 300 acres of land worth Rupees 1.5 million. This gesture, earned for him the title of 'Socialistic Capitalist' from Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru.
- Rupees Five hundred thousand to establish Higher studies at Malaysia.
- Rupees Twenty Thousand to establish the South Indian Educational Society at New Delhi in 1948.
- Rupees Twenty Five thousand to the Lady Deck College at Madurai.
- Rupees One hundred and Seventeen Thousand for Constructing "Alagappa Mandapam" at Thakkar Baba Vidyalaya in 1946, The Foundation Stone was laid by Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi (Father of the Nation).
- Rupees ten thousand and Five for publishing "TAMIL KALANGIYAM".
- Rupees ten thousand and one for Cochin Cyclone Relief fund.
- Rupees Twenty thousand for Geological research by Travancore government.
- Rupees One Lakh for establishing maternity Hospital and Child care Center in Cochin.
- Rupees Thirty thousand for the Indigenous medicine Research by Ernakulum Maharaja College.
- Rupees One hundred thousand to fund Students of Cochin to study abroad.
- Rupees One hundred and fifty thousand for the Morning food scheme of Cochin Children.
- Rupees One hundred thousand to establish South Indian chamber of commerce in Cochin.
Dr. Chettiar was full of compassion and gave whatever he had at the moment to the various causes. So the above list is just a small sampling of his generosity. His donation to this society is immeasurable.Alagappa Educational Trust
Dr. Alagappa Chettiar Educational Trust is the Governing body of the Alagappa Group of Schools at Karaikudi. The Trust was started by the great Philanthropist of South India Dr.RM.Alagappa Chettiar. The intention of starting this Trust is to educate all the children who are residing in and around Karaikudi. The Trust is headed by the able leadership of Dr.(Mrs.) Umayal Ramanathan, the Secretary and Correspondent, who is the daughter of the founder Vallal Dr. RM. Alagappa Chettiar. To follow the vision of Dr. Alagappa Chettiar at present the Trust has the following as Trustees.
|Dr. (Mrs) UMAYAL RAMANATHAN :||Secretary and Correspondent|
|Mr. R. VAIRAVAN||Chairman|
|Dr. M. ROBSON||Trustee|
|Dr. R. SWAMINATHAN||Trustee|
|Mr. G. NARESH KUMAR||Trustee|
|Dr. S. RAMAKRISHNAN||Trustee|
|Dr. R. DHANDAPANI||Trustee|
The Newly built Trust Office was inaugurated by our beloved Aachi Dr. (Mrs.) UMAYAL RAMANATHAN on 30th November, 2013 with spacious rooms. This Trust Office is well equipped with latest technology.
The Office is headed by Mr. Kasi Viswanathan, the Manager of the Trust. The office has five staff members.